Android 4.1 and TouchWiz 5 for Galaxy S2 i9100G – How To (Tutorial)
Google Android UI Credit:The Android Soul
Of late, a host of custom ROM Jelly Bean updates have flooded the smartphone domain. Among them, Samsung's Galaxy series smartphones have been the frontrunners to get the Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) custom ROM updates, with Galaxy S2 i9100 and i9100G leading the way.
Now, after a recent release, users will have the option to get the Jelly Bean ROM that has the Galaxy S3′s TouchWiz 5 interface's feel and look of (including goodies like the sounds, wallpapers, etc).
The newly released ROM is called SlimTW5 and gets you Android 4.1 with TouchWiz 5, along with the usual features like the smooth interface, actionable and expandable notifications, smart keyboard, advanced voice recognition etc.
Like Us on Facebook
Here's a look at the steps needed to install the Android 4.1 and TouchWiz 5 on your phone.
Important: Before we begin, note that this is not an official Jelly Bean ROM by Samsung but a custom ROM which is still under development. Normally, it may have a few issues and bugs. Moreover, some Samsung-specific features may not be available. Additionally, few apps like the camera, contacts, or the messaging app may be different from the ones found on original Samsung ROMs.
It is important that users make a backup of their personal data (including apps and settings) to avoid data loss while installing the Jelly Bean update.
Users will also need to install the stock Android 4.0.3 XXLPQ firmware and ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery before proceeding with the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update.
Lastly, the instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purposes only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using this firmware update. iTechPost will not be held responsible for any incurring issues.
The steps are as follows:
- Step 1:Download the latest version of SlimTW5 ROM from XDA Developers official thread (find all the download links below).
- Step 2:Download the Google Apps package.
- Step 3:Now, without extracting, copy the two downloaded zip files from step 1 and step 2 to the internal SD card.
- Step 4:Power off the phone and boot into Clockworkmod recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the screen turns on. The phone should now boot into CWM recovery. Use volume keys to navigate through menu options and power key to select an option in recovery.
- Step 5:Tap wipe data/factory reset and then hit Yes on next screen to confirm the action. Wait until the data wipe process completes.
- Step 6:Choose install zip from SD card, then tap choose zip from SD card. Locate the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by clicking Yes on the next screen. The ROM should begin installing.
- Step 7:Once ROM is installed, hit choose zip from SD card again, then choose the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps (GApps) package.
- Step 8:After the GApps is installed, choose the back option and then hit reboot system to reboot the phone into SimTW5 ROM. Note that the first boot may be a bit time consuming and may take up to 5 minutes.
Note: If you want to restore the stock Samsung ROM again, you can flash the XXLPQ firmware.