Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via AOKP ROM for Galaxy Note I717 – How To (Tutorial)
The Samsung Galaxy Note. Credit:Samsung | iTechPost
Samsung's popular Galaxy Note's international version received the coveted Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update just a few days ago. Now, the device's AT&T avatar has become the next in line to receive the update thanks to XDA Developer member DAGr8, who built a Jelly Bean preview from AOKP sources.
The new ROM still features the same smooth user interface, improved notification, and offline voice typing. Other added features, aside from what the OS itself offers, include a lightning-fast performance and customization options. However, the ROM is still in its early days and, therefore, we recommend that you take a backup of your ROM before flashing the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM.
Like Us on Facebook
What You Need To Remember:
- This guide's information is intended for use with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note (model number SGH-I717). Applying the directions on another model or device may lead to undesirable results.
- The information in this guide is provided for learning and instructional purposes alone. No guarantee exists that these instructions will work under precise and exclusive circumstances.
- We suggest that you carefully read and comprehend the entire guide before proceeding to implement the steps.
- Most importantly, use these instructions at your own risk. We at iTechPost shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device after you are done using the info in this tutorial.
What You Will Need:
- AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717 with ClockworkMod Recovery or TWRP Recovery installed. For more help on that, seehereandhere.
- The files you will need for performing the steps -AOKP Jelly Bean ROM for the AT&T Galaxy Note(aokp_JB_PREVIEW_quincyatt_Aug-09-12.zip, md5sum: f1ebbfffb525d40cd73b201f33cb92fd), andGApps (Google Apps) Package(gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip, md5sum: f62cfe4a827202899919fd932d5246d7)
- Do remember to backup all your personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (including contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and so on) in case you lose all your data while you are at it.
Here are the steps to upgrade to Jelly Bean:
- Step 1:Copy the ROM and GApps ZIP files and save them to your phone's SD card.
- Step 2:Switch off your phone.
- Step 3:Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can carry it out by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, and Power buttons together. When the screen turns on, release the Power button but keep the Volume key pressed until recovery boots.
NOTE: While in recovery, use the Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select an option.
- Step 4:Create a NANDroid backup of your default ROM so that in case something doesn't work out with this ROM, you can still restore your original ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore, then select Backup again to start backing up your current ROM.
- Step 5:Select Wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on the next screen to confirm data wipe.
- Step 6:Select Install ZIP from SD card then select Choose ZIP from SD card. Browse for the downloaded AOKP ROM and select it. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes on the screen that follows. Wait for a couple of minutes for the ROM to finish installing.
- Step 7:Flash the GApps package in the same manner as in step 6.
- Step 8:Once the installation is complete, select go back, then select Reboot system now to reboot your phone.
This should be enough to upgrade your device. Have fun.